Skip to main content

Forest treks, and reinventing the merfolk in my upcoming portal fantasy series...


Whenever I'm asked the question, which fictional world would I want to live in, I always choose Narnia without hesitation. Who doesn't want to find a magical land of talking beasts and epic destinies hidden in their wardrobe...err, closet? For years, I have wanted to write my own portal-style fantasy, and now I'm ready for you to meet that world in my upcoming series IN TIME AND MEMORY. I've been building that world for some time now - with its three kingdoms of water, earth, and sky, and the people who belong to it as empathy effectors, time trekkers, and memory mappers.

And of course, there will be dragons and merfolk! Not your typical merfolk, however. The people of the water kingdom (the empathy effectors) are fully human, with the ability to manipulate water into many forms (as water weavers). Their kingdom was the first that I explored, as one of my favorite male main characters, Kelsea, belongs to this world. What makes them especially important to this series is that they are the guardians of the portals which connect this fantasy world to ours.

I was in the midst of writing the pilot episode, when I discovered I had the makings for a stand-alone prequel (going back a few generations), in which a 'princess from the sea' meets with the 'king of the earth' - and, of course, they must fall in love. It was this prequel that encouraged me to dive deeper into the beliefs of the water kingdom and how it ties into the mythology of what we call 'mermaids/mermen' - half human and half fish.

This prequel is my current project, a short story, which I hope to have finished by the end of this month. Publishing plans are in the works, and I hope that is something I can announce soon! This story will be a challenge for me, as a writer, because I'm used to writing 500 page novels, and the last time I successfully wrote a short story was at least ten years ago. Oh my; here goes.

WRITER'S LIFE: For the first time this summer, I visited the botanical gardens located near me - I didn't even know there was one so close! - for a sunny-day trek through beautiful nature. There were some lovely, peaceful spots that make me want to go there more often, take my laptop, and draw inspiration as I explore the earth kingdom in my new series. I particularly loved the small, out-of-the-way wood stump table and chairs discovered along a narrow forest walking path (photo above).

I also celebrated my cat, Captain Cal, turning 10 years old this year; he had to endure a photoshoot outside, but then got to roam and play for awhile.

Looking for your next clean dystopian?? SKY EVER FALLS was written with fans of Divergent, The Hunger Games, and The Selection series in mind, but with an inspirational and faith-foundation. Galilea Noy struggles to hold onto that faith in a world determined to destroy her. I was absolutely thrilled (to tears...yes, I cried a little) to find my book was being featured in the Fall 2023 edition of Clean Fiction Magazine.

READING: Elizabeth Goddard's upcoming October release just arrived in the mail a couple of days ago! This second book in her "Missing in Alaska" series promises to be an exciting and suspenseful read, and I am eager to dive in; I'll be celebrating its release Tuesday, October 17, as a launch team member. Goddard shows her appreciation for her team by sending little book-themed merch, which is always a thrill. For the first book, it was a scented candle, and this one is this cute 'adventure awaits' keychain! (photo above)

Another recent book mail were these beautiful art prints and chibi stickers and bookmark from Hanna Sandvig, my choice of giveaway goodies I won from a Facebook post contest. If you are in the mood for cozy-vibe and sweet and clean magical fairy tale retellings, check out "The Rose Gate" and "The Glass Gate" - next up is her Snow White retelling in "The Frost Gate"!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty and the beast retellings, and bookversary special editions...

This year in May marked 7 years since I published the novel that started me on the journey of fairy tale retellings, and 10 years since I wrote the first scene in SAVING BEAUTY . I have dreamed of having an illustrated-cover version for my books, and to offer hardcover editions. So I took the plunge and did both to celebrate this bookversary! I spent weeks between the cover art, new map, and interior feature illustrations, and also behind-the-scenes author notes. The story received a fresh edit and a few detail corrections to really make it shine. It was truly a labor of love. I hope to continue with bookversary hardcover editions for each book in the CROWN OF STARS series, on their 7 year anniversary. That means CHASING CINDERS is up next in May 2024! I've already begun on the cover for that one, and I can't wait to show it to you - it'll be epic! WRITER'S LIFE: This is my birthday month, and I was so blessed to celebrate with my mom and brother this year. With put

Upgrades, holidays, and a submission to my first anthology...

I have exciting news to share!! Last newsletter, I shared how I was inspired to write a prequel to my portal fantasy series IN TIME AND MEMORY . I hinted that publishing plans were in the works, and now the wait is over and I can share those plans with you! I've been writing stories since I was eight years old; I didn't write anything down until years later, and that's when I started seriously thinking about writing and publishing a book. I knew early on I wanted to self publish; I've never gone with traditional publishing. But anthologies are cool - and something I really wanted to be a part of, if I could just know about them soon enough to write and submit something! And I finally got that chance with The Order of the Pen Press, who opened submissions for a 'ships' themed anthology. So I have been busy writing and finishing THE PRINCESS FROM THE SEA to submit. Today I found out that myself, along with 9 other authors, have been accepted into that anthology